Olga and Bob's Most Excellent Adventure

Olga (our trusty tandem bike) and BOB (our trailer) will take us from Maine to Florida along the Adventure Cycling Associations' East Coast Route. The trip begins on August 30th and will end sometime in early November. We'll be blogging along the route so check back often for the latest posting. If you want to read this in chronological order, start from the bottom and work your way up. Otherwise, it may not make sense. See you on the trail!

Name:
Location: Helena, Montana, United States

In the Spanish speaking world south of the US border they have a term for people like us..."jubliados". It implies that the later years of ones life is to explore, discover and expand their horizons. We embrace the concept and hope to share some insights with you.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Meet BOB



Greetings,

My name is BOB and I'll be hauling the load for Matt and Mary Ellen. I've been doing this kind of thing for over 10 years now, and find it to be a very satisfying line of work. I have lots of family who haul stuff for bicyclists all over the world, and we share some pretty amazing stories when were not on the trail. For this trip, I'll be carrying about 55 pounds of gear, which is below my max, but is plenty. One of the hardest part of bike touring is for the riders to decide what to leave behind. Just because you can take something along doesn't mean you should! Backpackers worry about grams. Cycle tourists also are concerned about weight, but they do have a bit more leeway. Volume, however, does get to be an issue, as there is only so much you can stuff into my waterproof sack and be able to secure it properly. Matt is still trying to learn how to fit everything into my waterproof stuff bag. He's having a heck of a time getting the load distributed right, but I'm sure he'll get the hang of it soon.

My low center of gravity does provide stability, and I track right behind the rear wheel. In fact, when I'm packed right and doing my job correctly, they don't even know I'm there. I do get upset when they go over big bumps without slowing down, but I think they've got the message and are learning to slow down and enjoy the scenary. My safety flag is an added plus, making it easier to see as we cruise on down the road. Attached to Olga, we're 11 feet long, and I can tell you we are quite a sight! Most people see us and smile, wave, or give the thumbs up sign. Once in a while, a jerk passes too close for comfort, but I keep my cool and stay on the straight and narrow.

I don't need much to make me happy. Good tires, lots of air (pump me up to 110 psi) and a bath with a few squirts of lubricant after a rainy day. Matt and Mary Ellen are still trying to get the knack of attaching me to Olga without much effort, but from where I sit, I'm just as content to hang on to her as long as I can. She's a sweet young thing. Now don't be reading too much into that or getting any weird ideas or anything. I just mean we're a great team, and I'm looking forward to spending many hours with her. I'll have plenty to brag about next winter when we get done with this trip, that's for sure.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to write to you once the trip begins, as I'll be preoccupied with my duties. But I'm sure Matt and Mary Ellen will keep you up to date on my condition. No news from me is good news I say. I'm the strong, silent type, so the less you hear from me, probably the better.

There you have it. I can't wait to get going. Honk if you get the chance. Even a shy guy like me enjoys the recognition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home